I just wanna spend quiet cozy moments with you, where time and space can’t touch us.
Category: random thoughts
(You are not) Ruled by Hormones
Being a girl sucks. Every month we are taken on this rollercoaster ride of emotions whether we like it or not. Of course we don’t have to pay for the tickets, but we have to pay for any slip of words, sassy attitude, loss of friends we get from that rollercoaster ride.
My mom says, I should know when the hormones are kicking into gear. I have the power to control these feelings. These urges to point out everybody else’s fault except my own. The urge to cry my eyeballs out just by seeing a sentimental commercial. The need to eat everything on the menu and feeling effing fat and miserable afterwards (don’t forget the PMS bloating, where the water contained in your body is a lot more near your period making you look fatter). Then, once your period starts, you’ve lost all apettite whatsoever, for food, for life. Nah, just kidding about the last one. But the frequent trips to the bathroom, checking and changing pads or tampons isn’t exactly ‘ladida hahaha’ fun. You have to make sure not to leave traces of your monthly junk in the bathroom for the next person to scorn in disgust at. Your mom would have to engrain in your head from early on that a clean white underwear is a mark of a decent girl. Then there’s that pep talk you recieve on your first period, which contents are mainly; “you can get pregnant, stay away from boys.” My first reaction was, “Do I stay away from boys only during my period or like forever stay away from them But what about Dad?” << this question obviously was only voiced in my head.
This is what a girl has to go through, throughout her productive part of life. Don’t get me started on the ‘to wear or not to wear make up’ matter (I’ll rant about this in another post). My PMS is rather weird if not that much different from other girls. It goes quite like this:
- Two weeks before my period my boobies swell and hurt.
- One week before I get irritated easily. You make a mistake (especially towards me), I see it, you’re doomed.
- Within the one week before, I crave spicy, sour and soupy foods.
- Within the one week before, I am always hungry.
- I feel like shit. Like, I’m the ugliest, unlovable, unworthy, piece of human being living on the surface of the planet. This is around 3 to 5 days before my period.
- I am bloated. So I am always considering gym memberships at these times.
- 1 or 2 days before my period, I can cry my eyeballs out over simply anything that hits the spot.
- 1 or 2 days before my period, I will feel the urge to make something. Amazing ideas or thoughts will just pour into my head, begging for release. Which usually only lasts for 12-24 hours, so don’t expect a best selling novel to pop out from that tiny time span. Perhaps just a blog post (like this one) or a neat piece of art.
- The period comes and I don’t want to do anything except lie down on my side or on my tummy. Not because I have mean menstrual cramps like most girls do. But I just feel drained (of course, I am only draining out my uteral lining) and don’t wanna, that’s all.
- I get back my self confidence on day 2 or 3, become my usual enthusiastic self. All the negativity hiding away someplace and just letting me be the agreeable, kind person I am (for two weeks).
I know all of the above is just a sign of having a healthy female body, of which I am grateful. And I have no objection to any of them. But I just feel, that being a girl (especially in Indonesia) comes with many hassles and life is not that easy on us. Therefore, we are the stronger lot.
I salute my mom, for being able to keep tending to us and everything despite being susceptible to the above wave of emotions too. But Mom, until I can be at least close to your sincerety and love, please bear with me and don’t snap at me on the above mentioned days. Even if you do, I still love you, forever.
I wonder what God was thinking when he created Eve. Not a polar opposite to Adam. But with softer features on the outside. Creating some kind of diversion to the advanced machine she has on the inside. Including a powerful heart. She can multi-task. Her mind can focus on several things at a time. She can develop a human being inside her. She can produce milk. She has strong intuition and sometimes even sixth-sense like abilities when it comes to the people she loves. And all which can only work when powered by? Yep. Love.
I have come to a point. Where I know I can love just for the sake of loving. I do not need anything in return. Love doesn’t have to be reciprocal. It would be nice to cuddle and kiss the one you love. Indeed. But it would be terrible to cuddle and kiss the one you don’t, just because your body yearns it. While your heart burns for another. But, in any condition, I advise you to simply love.
At this point, though I know I’ve thoroughly ruined my chances with a certain guy. Yet, I know I can still live, write, draw, laugh, sing and be happy and cry. Because crying, you see, doesn’t necessarily mean you’re sad and pitiful. It means you’ve a muscle called the heart. It sweats when you work it too hard. The bigger it loves the harder it works. And when you work it too hard it aches, like any other muscle. However, like any other muscle, if you work it regularly, it becomes stronger.
Sometimes you just click with someone and your brain goes into autopilot and makes all kinds of connections to make you feel good, feel hopeful and expectant. Sometimes you just want to rush into things and find out if your expectations can be met. But you (always) seem to forget that great expectations can be returned with great disappointments. So why not love just for the sake of loving? Giving? And not expecting anything in return?
Don’t complicate things. Don’t assume. Don’t hurt others. Just love, and let the Universe do the rest.
February Writing Challenge
To Illustrate or Not To illustrate
Belakangan berpikir untuk menambah ilustrasi pada postingan di koprolkata ini.
Tapi menurutku di satu sisi ilustrasi adalah pencurian hak pembaca untuk berimajinasi.
Apakah maksud adanya ilustrasi itu untuk membantu pembaca dalam memvisualisasi cerita? Menambah bumbu estetis pada kisah? Atau semacam dekorasi? *ponders*
Sejak mulai membaca buku tanpa ilustrasi (baca: “buku orang gede” cie..) saya mulai menikmati kebebasan sebagai pembaca untuk membayangkan apa yang dideskripsikan oleh penulis. Menjadikan kisah itu sebagai milikku setidaknya selama ia dalam genggaman daya khayalku.
Barangkali jika dianalogikan, buku tanpa ilustrasi adalah sepeda tanpa roda bantu. Lebih ‘wuuushh’ larinya. You can feel the wind in your hair.
Lalu untuk blog. Apa perlu mencomot dari ribuan gambar yang tersedia dan tinggal menyalin-tempel alamat sumber dengan kata-kata manis ‘courtesy of’, dengan harapan apa yang dibayangkan penulis tidak disalahartikan oleh pembaca?
Entahlah. Barangkali aku salah.